What to write, what to write. Why write anything? Blogs and home pages are the acme of vanity publishing. Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity. Or, if you prefer something modern:
- “Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. “Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless.” (New International Version, 1984)
- “Everything is meaningless,” says the Teacher, “completely meaningless!” (New Living Translation, 2007)
- “Absolutely pointless!” says the spokesman. “Absolutely pointless! Everything is pointless.” (GOD’S WORD ® Translation, 1995)
I’m not religious, but I’ve long been in thrall to Ecclesiastes. Surely in our time no sane man can believe life has meaning. If it did, it would be intolerable.
That’s one of the tenets of my philosophy. I’m a Futilitarian, and proud to say I invented the name first, then a philosophy to fit. “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God.” The nearest I have to a god, at least. In verbum veritatis.
Here are a few more Futilitarian saws:
- All generalities are false.
- All music is loud.
- Curiosity fed the cat.
- Everybody dies young.
- Let bygones be big ones.
- Virtue is its one reward.
- Being is believing.
- Most folks look better when they’re dead than they did the day before.
- American anarchists drive on the right, British anarchists on the left.
- Rigor mortis conturbat me.
- Home is where you hang your head.
- Eat cake and die.
I leave it to you to work out the rest of my philosophy. Whatever you construe will be as valid as any construction of my own. Let a hundred flowers bloom.
Why write more? I’m an old man now, and my dada is photography. While my eyes hold out I’ll keep making pretty pictures, which you can view here.